Tuesday 9 November 2010

Ashputtel - 'The Real Cinderella'

For my Narrative and Genre work on the 'Grimm Tales' I read through all the tales and the one I found I liked the most was Ashputtel. You mention the name Ashputtel and not many people would be able to tell you the story; as soon as you say Cinderella then everyone knows this story. I too would be in the majority who hadn't really heard of Ashputtel but I found I much prefer this story to the 'fairy-tale' that Cinderella is ... Never would you expect a gruesome eye-gouging at the end of Cinderella!!

Following on from how I broke down The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover into 2 parts, the story and the look of the story I think on the outside I could define Ashputtel into this sort of style too. We have the story going on - portrayed through the narration and acting; then we also have the look of the story which I would break down into two different parts, 1- the squalor of Ashputtel's hell living at home, the endless chores and 'slavery' she has to endure and 2 - the escape from her life in the comfort of the wishes that come true when she visits the tree that has grown on her mother's grave and the freedom she has at the Prince's Ball.

I understand that I could break the story down even further but I like the idea of just these 2 different stories within Ashputtel. I envision it almost how Peter Greenaway does with the use of colour to contrast between Ashputtel's two stories -  her hell and her freedom!! In this way colour could be used as a powerful visual device!

I think I need to follow on this colour direction, explore the ways to work colour into my ideas! I hadn't really thought about the colour before but now I think it could be one of, if not the most important element of my design.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel
    I like your breakdown of the story into two basic elements, and that these are very much based on mood - 'her hell and her freedom'. The colour ideas you explore could be different interpretations of hell and freedom; for example look at Bosch's 'Garden of Earthly Delights' - the archetype of hell and freedom! Or in another interpretation, hell could be very bleak, desolate, washed-out and grey, like a Samuel Beckett play, and freedom might be saturated with powerful colour contrasts, a heightened sense of things. Looking forward to seeing how you'll use colour in designing for this story and character.

    ReplyDelete